Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rifts w/ Yoshax

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Yoshax, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Yoshax

Yoshax Research Director

So! Hi. I'm Yoshax, and I invite you all to gather around, and come play Rifts. Now, you may be asking yourself. Yosh, what is Rifts?

Well, I don't think I can give a good explanation, so I'm going to steal ToG's list of things one might find in a rifts campaign:
    Dragons
    Mexican Vampires
    Gargoyles
    Crazy insect-like invasion Aliens
    Alien slavers from Atlantis
    Magic and Wizards
    Dinosaurs in Florida
    Psychics
    Russian Cyborg Armies
    Genetically enhanced animals from Texas
    'Glitter Boys' which are like super soldiers
    Cyber-Knights which I guess are sorta like BoS from Fallout but not at all
    Crazy Fascist governments
    China being 12-13 different Hells
    Giant Lay-lines from Fantasy shit
    Faeries
    Giants
    Super-Weapons
    Teleportation from the "Rifts"
    Crazy extra-dimensional alien things
    Cyborg-Cthulhu type things
    Alien black markets
    AND MUCH MUCH MORE

It's a pretty awesome system. But, in perfect honesty, it's a messy system, with far more than it really needs, it's ridiculously over-the-top in parts, but it's great fun.

I'm happy to take as many players as would like to play, unless it's far too much. Dates or times are undecided, will discuss that with people who wish to play, and gather when everyone is available and suchlike. Best days for me would be Fridays or Saturdays, most likely.
    Start week would hopefully be the week starting 14th December.

You can find the core book here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3p9jup30rz89o2/rifts - ultimate edition main book.pdf?dl=0
    However, there are a bunch of books, and all of them have quite nice stuff. So, you might wish to find the rest.

I would recommend using this character sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd9vlujx965cv1i/RiftsCS - Copy.pdf?dl=0

So, please, post, discuss, show interest, etc! Anyone is welcome, newbie or experienced, young or old. Games will likely be run on IRC or Roll20. More details about things such as setting, start location and suchlike will be posted at a future date. I'd just like to see if we can get together a group of people willing to play first!

People
    GM - Yoshax
    Player - Paradoxon
    Player - GinjaNinja32
    Player - Ikky
    Player - Persona
    Player - ToG

Introductory Job Advert Thing

Signs have been spotted pinned around Kingsdale, bartenders have been spreading the word, a rich and powerful individual is seeking folks for a job. An example of the advert can be found below.

"Wealthy individual seeking other individuals for a well rewarding job. Seeking less than ten peoples, anyone welcome, be you human, dog boy, or other. Savoury or unsavoury types both welcome, job will likely include travel. Contents of job unsuitable for public posting. People of all skill sets welcome, rate of pay will be negotiated upon during discussion, half up-front, half when complete.

If you wish to apply, or participate, be at the Red Squirrel Garden, Old Moores Chapel on the 25th June. A car will be present to collect you and deliver you to my location. Funny business not appreciated, nor welcome.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Paradoxon

Paradoxon Retired Staff

FUCKING DIBS. You know I'm in and shit.

3. Ikky

Ikky Species Maintainer (Unathi & Vox)

I've always wanted to try rifts, tentative as my schedule is quite cluttered.

4. Paradoxon

Paradoxon Retired Staff

Also my sheet because I'm a fucking nerd. (need some polish like name and stuff and a few details but overall complete)

Oh, and yeah, hours. Pretty much free all the time, but ~19-20 GMT, Friday or Saturday would be preferable.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  5. GinjaNinja32

GinjaNinja32 Community Moderator

techwizaaaard.

availability is basically 7pm-midnight GMT every day, may or may not be available earlier some days.

6. Yoshax

Yoshax Research Director

Sweeet, players. The more the merrier :p

7. Ikky

I'm truthfully unsure what I wanna play. This is such a kitchen sink system I feel like I can get away with anything either mechanically or fluff-wise.

8. Yoshax

Yoshax Research Director

Anything that isn't a power leech is fair game! World Book 30 - B-Bees of North America is a nice book, it has most of the other races.

9. Ikky

If I wasn't already playing a Drake in SR, I'd defently play a babby dragon just to be that sort of jerk, so that concept's too recent to use. I'm sort of tempted to play my Chimera concept back from City of Heroes, but Danny's name is already tied up in GURPs. Time to go through the image folder.

10. GinjaNinja32

GinjaNinja32 Community Moderator

i have found a pdf viewer that actually supports forms properly, so i won't need a plain text character sheet this time, hopefully :D

11. Ikky

Okay, there's all sorts of cool DB's, Yosh, what sort of setting and premise you got in mind to help me narrow this down?

12. Yoshax

Yoshax Research Director

I'll put together a sort of introductory post soonish.

However, game start will be North America, most likely Kingsdale because it's a nice, simple place that doesn't kill everyone who's odd. As for what we'll be doing, well. You'll all be coming together to accept a job offer, and from there, your life of adventure begins, promising riches, fame, fortune, popularity, power, and anything you'd ever want.

13. Ikky

Right, urban explorer sort of thing! That helps me in what I want to make and narrows options down to an acceptable amount.

14. Yoshax

Yoshax Research Director

Make whatever you like, pretty much anything could be useful in it's own way. Campaign me be combat heavy, or talking heavy, or whatever heavy depending on how you all decide to go about things.

15. Yoshax

Yoshax Research Director

Job advert introduction thingy posted. Yes it's vague, yes it's meant to be vague.

16. Ikky

Well, I've narrowed it down to five things, Centaur, Ectoman, Lyvorak (Most tempting this second), Loronoid and Darkhound, Darkhounds are right out given they're barely sapient murderwolves. The 11 foot dinosaur fuckers are also cool but seem impractical on a social and physical level.

BUT RAPTOR MAGES, MAN. I SORT OF WANT TO PLAY ONE.

17. Persona E

Persona E Senior Enlisted Advisor

I'm tempted but I've basically never played one of these games ever

18. Yoshax

Yoshax Research Director

Yeh, there's really sort of infinite possibilites. Darkhounds are pretty cool, but they even have their of warning at the start of the thingy that they're difficult to get right. There's a lot you can do with magic too, you could be a Raptor Mage Shaman dude, which might be pretty cool. All of the shamans in Spirit West are pretty awesome.

What I will say, to everyone, I'm happy with you playing whatever you like, but try to put just a little bit of sensibleness in it. Like don't come out playing a Coalition Psi-Stalker when the rest of the party are D-Bees, because I can't do much you all decide to murder each other when you meet! Just like don't roll a Sentient Magic Dolphin who can't leave the Pacific Ocean. But, I assume you're all sensible enough to not do anything like that :p

Anyone is welcome, Rifts isn't exactly the best starter tabletop, but it's a fun one! I'm not an expert on Rifts myself, so we can all learn together.

19. Persona E

Persona E Senior Enlisted Advisor

This character sheet is so confusing what the heck

20. Paradoxon

Paradoxon Retired Staff

Also, just a kind reminder that there's a IRC channel at #bs12rifts if you have questions or whatever.